COVID-19 guidelines for fall 2020 sessions for colleges and universities in B.C.
The B.C. government is encouraging post-secondary institutions to implement suggested protocols to help everyone stay safe while teaching or learning.
The post-secondary institutions of B.C. have been busy creating and sharing resources to help students, faculty, and staff access resources, develop strategies, and adapt to the new normal.
While we’ve organized the following resources by the institution to make it easier to quickly find the content about your specific institution, much of the information is relevant regardless of where you are. Explore this list to find the tools you need to transition to online learning, find support, and continue your education during and after the pandemic.
Some of the following information includes pre-pandemic services and supports. Visit the institution’s website to learn how to access these resources safely.
- Academica has assembled this impressive list of post-secondary institutions across Canada, with linked information about each institutions’ plans for the fall intake of 2020. The list is not complete, and we anticipate the content will be updated as new information is made available.
Association for Co-operative Education and Work-Integrated Learning (ACE-WIL)
- ACE-WIL has created a series of virtual town halls and webinars to provide information and support during the COVID-19 pandemic.
British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT)
- The BCIT Learning Hub provides training, real-time desktop conferencing, exam conversion, digital storytelling, and assistance with other educational technologies
Canadian Association of University Teachers (CAUT)
- Guidelines for re-opening campuses — CAUT has developed this resource for Canadian universities and colleges to develop their plans for re-opening in the fall
- Online Summer Semester Computer Guide — summer courses available online at Camosun College
- The Centre for Accessible Learning — support for new and current students and instructors, with information and specific resources to continue learning at Camosun
- Centre for Teaching Excellence — a comprehensive resource for educators, faculty, and staff seeking innovative and evidence-based approaches to teaching and learning
- The Learning Commons — a supportive environment with reference materials and presentation facilities for students
- Online Learning— support for common tools and tasks available to educators at Douglas College
- Students Helping Students— a mobile service to support on-campus technology used at Douglas College campuses
- Study Skills Resources and Handouts — a substantial collection of PDF guides offering easy-to-follow tips to improve online learning
Justice Institute of British Columbia (JIBC)
- Learning Resources — learning strategies, writing supports, tip sheetings, and library info for JIBC
- Learning Commons & Tutoring — a one-stop-shop for services and tools to improve your learning at Langara
- GROW @ OC – a new counselling service from Okanagan College is designed to create connections and build resiliency among learners as they look at the fall intake amidst COVID-19 concerns. The online drop-in group is for all registered OC students.
- Okanagan College Learning Centres — online study resources, practice exams and worksheets, and campus-specific information
- Student Resources — here is a good list of online learning tools, FAQs about OC’s response to COVID-19, and help to deal with change. Join OC’s Samantha Johnson and Sarah Lefebure at an upcoming webinar focused on promoting and practicing self-compassion
- Learning Success Centre — one-on-one tutoring, workshops, and resources to improve student success
- Preparing to Succeed as an Online or Distance Learning Student — some useful information about preparing your study space, time planning, and available resources for students at Selkirk
- Writing Centre — e-tutoring and writing support for writers seeking help for their compositions and writing projects
Simon Fraser University (SFU)
- My Student Support Program – SFU has signed up for another three years of the My Student Support Program (My SSP), a flexible resource that helps students make in-person or virtual appointments with a registered clinical counsellor.
- Student Guide to Online Learning (PDF) — download or print this eight-page toolkit filled with tips for learning in the online world
- Success Strategies for Online Courses — screencasts, online forums, and resources to help students be proficient through online learning channels
Thompson Rivers University (TRU)
- Academic Supports — academic advising, international student support, a friendly and inviting Indigenous centre, and other resources to help TRU students be successful through online learning
- Writing Centre — free tutoring through WriteAway and WritingCentre Online, providing feedback and advice to learners looking to improve clarity, ideas, sentence structures, and more
University of British Columbia (UBC)
- Keep Learning — tips and resources to help students thrive in an online learning environment
- Online Learning Guides — via Google Docs a vast selection of online guides available, featuring international content ranging from overall coronavirus to specific districts, international schools (including IB), and distance learning and flipped-classroom plans
- Tool Guides — an online compendium of tool-guides to use the various tools available at UBC
- UBC Geering Up – Online Resources during COVID-19 — virtual camps, courses, and e-learning resources for engineers and educators
Faculty-Specific Teaching and Learning Centres
- Arts Instructional Support and Information Technology– Faculty of Arts
- Centre for Instructional Support– Faculty of Applied Sciences
- (See also the Team-Based Learning section of the website)
- Professional Development and Community Engagement– Faculty of Education
- The Learning Centre– Faculty of Land and Food Systems
- Office for Faculty Development & Educational Support– Faculty of Medicine
- Skylight (Science Centre for Learning and Teaching)– Faculty of Science
- Learning Services– Sauder School of Business
- Online Programs: Virtual Learning Center– Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences
University-Wide Teaching and Learning Centres
- Centre for Teaching, Learning, and Technology
- Centre for Teaching and Learning, UBC Okanagan
- Library Help– UBC Library
- UBC Sustainability Teaching, Learning, and Research Office
University of Fraser Valley
- What Makes a Successful Fully Online Student? — helpful information for students seeking tips to be successful through online learning
University of Victoria (UVic)
- Centre for Accessible Learning — the CAL works with faculty and students to promote educational equity and accessibility for students with disabilities
- English Language Centre — staffed by teachers, a cultural assistant, and volunteers, the ELC learning centre is available to help learners develop their English language skills
- Learning and Teaching Support and Innovation — the LTSI is available for faculty, instructors, and teaching assistants looking for professional development and guidance
- UVic Learn Anywhere — academic support, learning strategies, and well-being resources for UVic students